I finally severed all financial ties with the UK over the last two nights. The exchange rate between the dollar and pound - which has been in the toilet for approaching five years now - has never given much impetus for making the final transfer. But in the last couple of weeks, the rate has risen back to the level that I'd deem acceptable for a transfer. The rate hasn't been this high since Christmas, and before that sometime in 2010. It's all going to be squirreled away on Monday when I have another appointment at the bank to invest it in various vehicles, where it can hopefully work to offset the loss in the 2008 exchange rate and the ridiculous number of charges involved in transferring it over here. It's sod's law that the exchange rate is still going up right now as I write, though.
My UK account now has ten pounds in it, which is probably the least there's ever been in it since it was opened at some point in the 1990s. I pretty much don't exist over there now; not tax resident, no assets, no NI contributions, credit rating most likely disappeared, not on the electoral register.

No comments:
Post a Comment