Into the second week of my break before a job in the real world. Last week chiefly involved watching the first series of Game of Thrones about three years after most of the rest of the planet. This week, series two, chasing a bank transfer that has taken eight days (and counting), and bread making. I have been given this homework by L, who has decided after three separate bouts of me cooking dinner for her that I am competent in the kitchen, Super Bowl party chocolate brownie catastrophe notwithstanding.
The bread in question is sourdough, which requires fermentation of the 'starter' shown on the right by bacteria caused by the decomposition of flour by water. It's slowly getting more air bubbles in it, and it's slowly getting runnier. Every 12 hours I have to feed the bubbling, evil-smelling thing in the tupperware on the left with more flour and water, all the while hoping I'm not accosted by my neighbours for the smell emanating from my kitchen. I've made some damned smelly things in the lab in the last 14 years, but this? Crikey.
No comments:
Post a Comment