Visiting London Village for the first time in maybe six years is going to be a bit odd. I visited there fairly frequently when I lived in Coventry, but haven't been back once since I came over here. From a convenience point of view, I've booked two nights at the Premier Inn in Hammersmith to use as a base for my Cup Final trip. It's going to be odd to wander about the place again. Is "Half Price Curry"* still "Half Price"? Are the staff of "Kebab Machine" still the surliest people on the planet?
Is the barber's shop with the men who speak almost no English yet use terrifyingly sharp straight razors still there? Is The Goose in Fulham still full of old men, one to a table? How much does a service wash cost at the launderette on Shepherd's Bush Road these days if it cost 9 pounds in 2004?
* Half Price Curry was a curry place in Fulham that had a menu with everything listed on it as "half price", but was actually a normal price, and then next to it "full price" at double the amount. As a marketing strategy, it was quite strange. And they served Port to help digest the meal at the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment