An increase of two miles for the long run of the week over last Saturday. Given the state of the paths in the northwest after the snow of Thursday and Friday, it was time for another trip into town to run by the river.
Well, I say run, but it was a lot more like a jog for the first four miles, but I've already had remedial lessons in not starting too quickly. Today's route started at Poppy Plaza on Memorial, before taking in such sights as the 14th Street bridge, the Crowchild bridge, and the woods beyond. This stretch was accompanied by a very noisy Canadian Pacific train, and a fair amount of mud. By the time I'd looped back and got back into downtown my legs still felt reasonably OK and I slowly got faster. I went up through the gears a little bit, such that I ran the last four miles over four minutes faster than the first four, ending up running faster than I did in the previous two long Saturday runs, which is progress. At the present pace, there's no chance of me running under two hours for a half marathon, but there are still six weeks to go and as my legs get stronger, hopefully they get faster.

No comments:
Post a Comment