Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Running Man - Season 2, Episode 12

Last week wasn't a good week, training wise. Working all day and then getting home tired and hungry and then having to run is far from ideal preparation. Especially for 5:15 starts to get to work at 6:30. Not forgetting a gale force Chinook on Thursday evening to make me run one of my worst 3 mile runs ever, which made me not look forward to the 6 mile run I had to do yesterday. Safe to say, I took it slowly, to try and nurse my legs through it; they're still getting used to running on hard pavements again after  months of inactivity and two weeks on a nice, springy treadmill. 

Through four and a bit miles, I felt OK, and had a bit in reserve. I wound it up slightly, and ran progressively faster for the last mile and three quarters. The time you see above means I essentially ran a 10k race in 14 minutes more than I did last September, but it was nice to be able to get faster as a run went on. The first 3 miles took 35:37 (jogging pace), the last 3 miles were completed in 32:59. I thought I ran the last mile quite fast, and then found out from my watch that I did it in 9:50, which shows there's a fair way to go to get back to last year's pace. Still, it was a faster overall pace than last Saturday. Just. A nice hot bath at L's place afterwards means that I'm actually able to move today.

Next Saturday: 8 miles. Oo er.

No comments: