Five weeks today will be my first bash at a 10K race, which I entered to keep the motivation for running while I'm a gentleman of leisure. As I've mentioned before, I've now advanced from just running 30 minutes three times weekly to 30 minutes of intervals on Tuesdays, 30 mins with a significant uphill run on Thursday, and a slow run on Saturday, extending the time by five minutes each week.
Today was the 40 minute run (at my current standard I expect to run a 10K in about 55 minutes). Problems that occur when you have to extend the time include having to lengthen the course without stopping at traffic lights continually, since that's not a real test of stamina to constantly stop for two minutes while the lights change. So the pedestrian bridge over Shaganappi Trail had to come into play today, twice, resulting in screwy split times and average pace since I was hardly moving horizontally (my fancy new GPS watch charitably deducted the time climbing and descending the stairs, hence the 39:48). I did about 3.5 miles at 9:00/mile, about another half mile at 8:30/mile and then the last half mile at flat out (about 6:45/mile at present). And I felt fine afterwards, though my knees are a bit sore now a couple of hours later. We'll see how bad they are in the morning...
No comments:
Post a Comment