I know. You're thinking "he ran ten miles last week, shouldn't he have run further this time?"
Indeed I should have, but Saturday was a profoundly miserable experience. Following an overnight snowfall, I decided that I'd put on my merino wool base layer that I bought for my field trip with work a month ago. Big mistake, given a) it was very warm and b) it was incredibly restrictive on my legs under my running pants. Every stride was an effort. In hindsight, not a surprise that my legs went after about five miles.
Secondly, my legs are falling to bits now. I have no doubt that my, er, unusual running gait imposed on my since my footballing accident is the prime contributor. I now have a pain in my right calf in addition to the discomfort in my left shin, ankle, hamstring and buttock. The latter is providing plenty of comic relief to everyone else as I shriek with pain every time I stand and sit, but it's not much fun to me. I've had all manner of advice about what it is; my boss said on Friday afternoon she can recommend an athletic therapist and I will get the details from her tomorrow. In the meantime, heat pads from L and the liberal, four-times-daily application of Voltaren to most of the bottom half of me will have to do. I'm probably going to skip on or more sessions this week, to see if I can get through 12 miles next Saturday.
Take home lessons? A ten week program was probably a bit ambitious, and trying to grit one's teeth and stiff-upper-lip your way through discomfort will only bring more. As L said this afternoon as I cam to a grinding halt in Market Mall while looking at suits, "boys are silly"

No comments:
Post a Comment