
So what better way to spend a Saturday evening when you've just landed a new job than going out with your girlfriend? So that's what I did. Except IKEA probably isn't the recommended venue for date night. Even if you have dinner while you're there. But still, I have been itching to get there for a long while for all sorts of things, which have been scuppered in the past by a lack of transport (coffee tables are hard work on the CTrain, as I found out once) and a lack of money. But with my tax refund imminent in a couple of months, and a new salary on the horizon, that's no longer a problem. And with a car and another pair of hands to help carry things, I could get larger bits and pieces, addition to all those little things you don't go to IKEA for but end up thinking "ooh, that's useful, I'll have one of those"

So it came to pass, that after approaching six years of sitting on the floor, and occasionally being knocked over during hoovering, that the stack of blu rays/DVDs/CDs finally has a home. Lego Darth Vader likes his new spot. Note the extra shelves I bought in the wrong size. Whoops. I've also managed to replace the shelves I had by the door, which I disliked almost the instant I assembled them. But I'd lose thousands of Yorkshire points before that happened. The new shelves on the right are much more to my liking, because I can now sort out the books into the various different genres, which appeals to the scientist in me that likes to sort and classify everything. It also gave me the opportunity to throw a fair bit of junk out as well. And in an extreme bout of 'waste not, want not' the old shelves by the door now live in the box room, holding all manner of things on there such that there is actually clear floorspace in there again.
Next on the list: a new coffee table (the third, but I want a bigger one), and probably a new TV stand, because there is now the opportunity to get a TV large enough to do some of the blu-rays justice.
No comments:
Post a Comment