Thursday, November 28, 2013

Busy

So where were we?

New posts on here have been a bit thin of late, but since I actually have something to do during the day now, I can't spend all my day wittering away on here. I'm now two weeks into being a freelance editor. While it isn't paying riches yet (nor is it likely to), I'm beginning to get an idea of how much I can do in a day. The first couple of weeks have been getting used to the process, seeing what my managers in Mumbai want in terms of style, level, detail and so on. I've now sent 14 jobs back, my average feedback rating is now climbing, and they're starting to send me longer jobs at the Premium edit level (as opposed to Standard Edit). Because they're now sending me Premium jobs my average rate has now climbed to the giddy heights of $17.79 USD per 1000 words.

Due to the 12.5 hour time difference, it's a bit frustrating to apparently miss out on jobs (due to emails saying that they've been withdrawn) more than once because I've been in bed sound asleep and can't accept them. I've sent them an email today saying "please can you send me emails between 10pm and midnight"

I did my first thing today for an apparently difficult client, a ten page (!!) response to reviewers. We shall see whether he says of me, like he does of many others on his feedback page "do not let this person edit my work ever again"

No comments: