Sunday, December 21, 2008

Homeward Bound

I'm sat in the departure lounge of Calgary Airport as I write this, on a wireless connection that could be politely described as 'erratic'. I got through bag drop and security check with three-and-a-half hours to go before my flight leaves, and so now I have three hours to kill. At least the wireless access here is free; good old Deathrow airport in London will be charging me for the privilege tomorrow, should I choose to access it. I doubt the battery in my laptop will last that long in any case.

It's pretty busy here right now; lots of flights bound for Vancouver have been diverted here due to heavy snowfall on the west coast and the airport there is being closed periodically to clear the runway. Other flights to Vancouver and Victoria are being delayed as well so the airport is as busy as I have ever seen it. I hope that my workmates heading out that way get there OK because as the public address keeps repeating "there are no spare seats on other flights" and people living in Calgary are being advised to go home and contact the call centre. Not a good start to the holiday period for some. Hopefully since the aircraft I will travel on is coming from without Canada there will be no such weather-related problems.

I have my gift from last night's Secret Santa at the Christmas party at Chez Piers, a book on 15 different molecules that have shaped history in chemistry which looks a good read. I've also got a couple of magazines and this month's Chemistry World cryptic crossword to do. I worry about how long my iPod will last; the battery life has been greatly shortened since it went through the washing machine a couple of months ago. I'll write again when on terra firma britannia.

No comments: